It’s no secret that Korean skincare products are taking over this side of the world, and for obvious reasons- it works!
Over the years I’ve tried tons of anti-aging skincare products. I’d apply them for a few weeks, see no difference, and then forfeit the product. I was frustrated by cost and was a skeptic when it came to a product’s effectiveness. If a product costs more, is it more effective? Or is it just part of their marketing bullshit?
I was spending too much money trying to figure it out, and disappointed by my skin's unresponsiveness to those products.
Then my friend introduced me to Korean skincare. It sounded intriguing. I knew skincare was of deep importance in asian culture, so I thought I’d give it a shot. I first wanted to do a little research:
I found that skin care dates back to Korea’s earliest writings, around 8000 BC, when they used herbal ingredients for skin concerns. According to Amarte Skincare, “the use of elegant, natural brightening alternatives such as arbutin (instead of hydroquinone), the development of natural, mushroom-based emollient ingredients, new methods for preparing natural extracts, and the concept of gentle exfoliation – a uniquely Korean tenet. Skin care formulators in this corner of the world see little, if any, place for potent glycolic acid or other AHA exfoliants. Since the publishing of the Donguibogam more than 400 years ago, skin care philosophy here has advocated gentle, bio-compatible exfoliation."
Once I discovered the history and breakthroughs of Korean skincare, I decided to order a lengthy list of products to see what worked for me. I have now used Korean products for 8 months, and I will never look the other way. It has helped my skin tremendously, not only with anti-aging, but with dryness/eczema and discoloration. Oh and also, it's AFFORDABLE. I listed my top 5 favorite products that will not disappoint!!!
1. Shangpree Snail Moisture Mask: I use sheet masks twice a week. This is by far my FAV. Why? Well, it consists of snail mucin. Sounds gross I know. BUT snail mucin offers A TON of repairing benefits. It’s packed with nutrients such as glycolic acid and copper peptides, helping to protect the skin from damage. It’s best known for it’s anti-aging properties. Snail mucin helps stimulate collagen and elastin, treating wrinkles, scars, age spots etc.
2. Mizon Water Volume Ex First Essence: I LOVE THIS STUFF SO MUCH!!!! I have REALLY dry skin. My eczema flares up around my nose during the winter and my face starts to look like a dehydrated raisin. The water volume consists of snow algae extract, which hydrates the skin and locks in moisture. I use the water volume every morning after using a toner. My skin feels alive and soothed after applying. It also helps to better absorb other skin products.
3. Mizon Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule: Back to the snail mucin! I’ve seen such a huge difference in my skin since incorporating this into my skin regimen. This ampoule is “Packed with other active ingredients like hydrating hyaluronic acid and antioxidant-rich cocoa, this product applies to the skin silky smooth and leaves it feeling revived.” I typically rub this together with my night cream and apply as my last step!
4. Cremorlab Shadow-off Eye Cream: If you have dark circles and excessive dryness- this is for you. I’ve never had issues with dark circles until I became a parent (and now it’s a permanent issue). It took 2 weeks to start seeing a change. I noticed my eyes brighter and the dark circles diminishing. It has a high mineral content, helping to delicately provide hydration for that sensitive eye area. I use this morning and night and I could not live without it.
5. Kicho Ultra Moisturizing Sun Cream: So I’ve already mentioned this sunscreen in a previous post, but I’m mentioning it again because it’s just that amazing. I cannot emphasize enough how great this product is. It has ZERO SPF smell, it’s filled with antioxidants, it encourages regeneration and it’s incredibly moisturizing without leaving your face filling oily. This product is worth every last cent!!!
- Lindsay xx