Well shit. I've truly been slacking with keeping up on here and am way overdue. This last month and a half has been a bit crazy in the wellness department. Between constant doctor appointments, surgeries, infections, etc.. there hasn't been much of an effort on my part to write. And at the end of the day, just like any other mom can relate, I'm tired. I just want to lay in bed and watch shitty movies, drink a glass of red wine and call it a day. Although I'm terrible at keeping up with this thing, I'm not absent. I visit my blog daily, jot down random thoughts, and eventually deliver those thoughts into something that (hopefully) makes sense.
So now that we are all seeming to get back on track, I thought I'd do another 'Random Weekly Thoughts', and maybe start making it a thing?
Here are this weeks (months) random as hell thoughts:
- THE HANDMAID'S TALE: WOW! This has got to be one of the best shows I've ever watched. (shout out to my friend Elena for recommending it). It's a Hulu original about religious extremists taking over the United States, women's rights being stripped, and the U.S. becoming a totalitarian society in modern day. It's based off a 1985 novel by Margaret Atwood, and the show's depiction is beyond amazing. It's insane, brilliant and eye opening. I highly highly recommend it to everyone.
- I haven't eaten meat for 4 weeks now. I watched the documentary called "What the Health" and it was the final straw for me. Although I felt there was quite a bit of bias opinion in the documentary, at the end of the day I'm over eating animals. I've never been a big meat eater anyway, so eliminating those foods hasn't been that challenging. (Except I LOVE seafood) :/ It's a work in progress. I wouldn't identify as a vegan because I know I will definitely eat sushi every so often, however I can confidently say that all mammals are officially off my diet. I also have swapped out our dairy milk for almond, dairy cheese for soy cheese and and have really tried to make an effort on eliminating all byproducts. I will say, it's incredibly easy to do this at home. However, when you are out for lunch or dinner, and your kids want pizza 5 times a week, it's hard to hold your 'vegan' ground. Suggestions on places to eat that offer alternative options would be greatly appreciated!
- Scout starts TK in 10 days..say whaaat! Scout misses the kindergarten cut off by 3 weeks, so based on her birthday, she can attend a transitional kindergarten program which is almost like a kindergarten prep year. (or like 2 years of kindergarten). With Scout being the first kid, I sometimes feel like she was born forever ago. But then I look back at photos of her as a baby, and I can't believe it's been almost 5 years since she entered this world. She has such a rad and unique personality that some don't always get, but she brings so much life and energy into any circle of people and I love her most for that. She is going to rule TK.
- #Worldbreastfeedingweek: A few months back, I expressed my thoughts and neutral feels towards anyone whom chooses breast over bottle or bottle over breast. This week is "world breast feeding week", and it has been amazing seeing women from all over the world sharing their breast feeding journeys. Breast feeding is beautiful. Our bodies were naturally meant to feed our children from the milk we produce. And yes, it is of course the best option. With that said, it is an OPTION. I've seen several posts in honor of this week, SOME (almost all have been great) expressing judgmental opinions towards moms who use formula... and my thoughts are plain and simple: quit being an asshole. (and I'm not trying to be an asshole in saying so). I do not understand the mom shaming or feeding wars AT ALL. Why do women care how someone else chooses to feed their baby? I did both, and back both decisions. We shouldn't feel a superiority over those who choose formula, when at the end of the day, if your baby is being FED that is what is most important. Breast feeding is not always an option for some. What about the adoptive parents, the gay parents, the single dad who's raising a baby alone? I'm not putting down either party. I breast fed Canyon until he was 18 months and would do it again. I just hate seeing all the judgement, when no one knows someone else's personal situation. Also, I'm pretty sure our children's potential future employers are not going to ask "were you breast or bottle fed" in the interview process. #justsayin
- Dear beaches, bikinis, acai bowls, cold beer and hot summer nights..I love you. (Stay away Winter)
- All the red blend wine lovers, I've found the most tasty wine (and it's dirt cheap). It's called Tractor Red Shed. It looks like this. Go get yourself some tonight..it's Friyayyy.